Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Love Shit"

"Ma L.S. ako atchan." That's what my friends and I would say when we have a date with our boyfriends. Coming from a group of mostly single friends who were either too busy with work or had just become too jaded when it comes to love, a romantic relationship unwittingly got that moniker. I can't think of a more fitting way to describe a relationship. Come to think of it, it really is full of shit. I, for one, have experienced the best and the worst from a six-year relationship.

My boyfriend and I have been going steady for almost six years now. But then, we are not just like any other relationship, being a long-distance one. We were classmates since kinder. We have been the best of friends all throughout high school. We only parted ways in college when he had to go to Manila to study and I had to stay here in Naga. But we never lost touch with each other. Eventually, we fell in love. There were initially a lot of discouragements because a long-distance relationship usually never lasts. I don't know how we did it because we stuck with each other despite everything. To say it was hard is an understatement. It required a lot of hard work on both our parts. It was hard enough that we have to adjust to each other, we still had to accept the fact that we cannot see each other whenever we want. Eventually, we got used to the set-up. We were content with summer vacations, Christmas breaks and the occasional weekend visits. True, mahal ang long-distance.haha! We constantly wished for the time that we would finally be together. I don't know if it is to be considered as a blessing in disguise but we were given just that, albeit with a price. Last summer vacation, he met an accident while playing basketball. He broke an arm and had to undergo an operation. He was advised by the doctor to rest for a few months so he had to postpone his law studies at the UST.

My friends would tease me that at last, we got our wish. But as I have said, it came with a price. For one, He broke his right arm. I can't imagine how painful it was. Another thing is that we got so used to the long-distance set up that we now have a hard time adjusting to the fact that we are actually in the same zip code! We were so used to handling matters separately. We are now having a hard time actually doing it together. But I am still not complaining. We have weathered a lot, we can handle this. It is still a blessing that at least we can experience a normal relationship for at least a semester. It is a blessing that despite everything, we have each other

No comments: